When Lady Gaga was announced as the Halftime performer for next month’s Super Bowl, she was met with mixed reaction. However, there are solid reasons as to why Lady Gaga could go down in history as the best performance ever. Why? Let us count the ways:
5. The Entrance. How the artists get to the stage is half the fun of the halftime show. In 1993, Michael Jackson seemed to be beamed there through an alien abduction. In 2001, *N Sync was chased to the stage by adoring fans. In 2015, Katy Perry road out on an anemometric lion. Lady Gaga is a woman who once was carried down the red carpet in an EGG and rode into the 2013 American Music Awards on, what can only be described as a human-horse. There is no telling how she will get to the stage but there is no doubt it will be epic.
4. The Outfits. Will it be a dress of meat? Will she cover her face and body entirely in lace? Will she wear a giant head piece? Could she stun us all and show up fresh-faced and demure ala the 2015 Oscars? Lady Gaga’s footwear almost deserve a mention of their own on this list because she’s stomped around in 10 inch Alexander McQueen heels on numerous occasions (most notably the Bad Romance video). Mother Monster is NOT going to show up in jeans and sneakers, unless they are her beloved Chucks though one can assume the Haus of Gaga has been planning Super Bowl Halftime outfits for years.
3. The Stage Design. The field at NRG Stadium will be a large space to fill but there is no limit to what Lady Gaga will do. We are talking about a woman who once played the piano on top of a giant stiletto shoe on Oprah’s studio stage. Lady Gaga also famously went into debt during her Monster Ball tour due to her set design. She then had a castle as her stage for her cut-short, Born This Way Ball and the stage for 2014’s artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball had runways that extended well into the general admission floor. The late Prince had his stage designed to be his infamous symbol, perhaps Mother Monster's stage will be her famous "paw"?
2. The Guest Apperances. Could we see Beyoncé again, for the 2nd year in a row for the duo to perform “Telephone” and “Video Phone”? What about Tony Bennet? Those two have been Cheek to Cheek since the release of their Jazz album. Florence Welch? The duo could perform their stellar duet, “Hey Girl” from Gaga’s new release, Joanne. Let us not forget though that Ms. Gaga is the God Mother of Sir. Elton John’s son. The duo have performed together multiple times. Lady Gaga has already teased that she is planning on bringing some fans up there with her but it is a safe bet that at least one of her famous friends will join her on stage as well.
1. The Hits. Put the entrances, outfits, stages and famous friends aside, Lady Gaga has 13 top-10 hits, including number one songs; “Just Dance”, “Poker Face” and “Born This Way” (“Bad Romance” peaked at number 2, trust me I’m just as surprised as you are). She can easily fill the 15 minutes with a medley of her own crowd-pleasing material. She can also use this moment to shed light on a cause extremely near to her heart and perform her Oscar nonimated song, "Till It Happens to You". Seeing NRG Stadium light up with cell phones, while Gaga plays the piano on her most vulnerable song will surly bring chills to all those watching.
What will the stage look like? What will she wear? What will she sing? You don’t want to miss Lady Gaga’s Superbowl Halftime show when the game airs on FOX, Sunday, February 5, 2017.
Lady Gaga's Infamous Moments:
Written by Kristen
The Launchpad Blog is written and made possible by our team members at Ticket Galaxy. Each contributing writer shares their passion for the sports, music and entertainment industry.